Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Constant Heart by Siri Mitchell

This week I finished reading the book, A Constant Heart by Siri Mitchell. This book is about 384 pages of historical christian fiction although the Christian part of the description is quite downplayed. Here is a brief description of the book from Amazon:


"Born with the face of an angel, Marget Barnardsen is blessed. Her father is a knight, and now she is to be married to the Earl of Lytham. Her destiny is guaranteed ... at least, it would seem so. But when her introduction to court goes awry and Queen Elizabeth despises her, Marget fears she's lost her husband forever. Desperate to win him back, she'll do whatever it takes to discover how she failed and capture again the love of a man bound to the queen." (end quote)


This book historically takes place during the time of the first Queen Elizabeth's reign in England. This book was odd for me. It was compelling in the sense that it kept me wanting to turn the pages and see what happens next but at the same time it was lacking. Lots of parts felt repeating and then the end finished up so quickly that it left you wondering why the book took so long to get to the climatic point and then just end. I have to say it was quite interesting learning about the ways of beauty during that time and how it can certainly be compared to the lengths people will go to be accepted among their peers. All in all.. I can't say it was a bad read but I do question the overall structure and quick ending. I was torn as to whether have it as a book club selection or not and have decided not to read it at this time as a group. And whether you decide to pick it up or not, I do hope that you enjoy it as I know others have! To each their own! :) Happy Reading!

No comments: