Saturday, January 8, 2011

Courting Trouble

If you notice the difference in the blog, I decided that we had the previous background up long enough and wanted a change for the new year... Hope you like it!

Back to business.....Recently I read the book, Courting Trouble by Deeanne Gist. This is a Christian Historical Fiction novel and we had previously read a book by her last year (Info. found here). Here is what the book is about from the author's site:

Whether it's riding bikes, catching snakes, or sliding down banisters, Essie Spreckelmeyer just can't quite make herself into the ideal woman her
hometown--and her mother--expect her to be. It's going to take an extraordinary man to appreciate her joy and spontaneity--or so says her doting oil-man father.Unfortunately such a man doesn't appear to reside in Corsicana, Texas. It's 1894, the year of Essie's thirtieth birthday, and she decides the Lord has more important things to do than provide her a husband. If she wants one, she needs to catch him herself. So, she writes down the names of all the eligible bachelors in her small Texas town, makes a list of their attributes and drawbacks, closes her eyes, twirls her finger, and ... picks one. But convincing the lucky "husband-to-be" is going to a bit more of a problem. Join Deeanne Gist for another unforgettable tale and find out whether Essie's plan to catch a husband succeeds or if she's just Courting Trouble. (end quote)

The book is about 330 pages and the author kept me turning the pages pretty fast. And I have to tell you that I enjoyed the previous book we read more than this one. It was entertaining reading and has a good message about Jesus being all we need in life but it didn't have enough wow factor for me to make it a book club selection for our group. But don't get me wrong, even after saying all that I am still interested in the sequel I just learned about. If you choose a Deeanne Gist book to read, be sure to check out her site as she does have lots of great resources. That is one thing I love about this author, she does research on her writing and doesn't forget about book clubs. I look forward to reading more from her so be sure to let me know if you have read one of hers that was a good pick. Happy reading!

No comments: