Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July Selection

A real quick June update, We had 4 people at our June meeting with great fellowship and conversation. Thank you to those who were able to attend and I hope that if you didn't make it, you get to join us another time! :)

Our July selection will be Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. This is a Christian non-fiction book and has about 227 pages. Here is a description from online:


"Lewis seeks in Mere Christianity to help us see religion with fresh eyes, as a radical faith whose adherents might be likened to an underground group gathering in a war zone, a place where evil seems to have the upper hand, to hear messages of hope from the other side" (from the foreword). One of the most popular and beloved introductions to Christian faith ever written, Mere Christianity has sold millions of copies worldwide and its popularity continues to grow. The book brings together Lewis's legendary broadcast talks of the war years, talks in which he set out simply to "explain and defend the belief that has been common to nearly all Christians at all times. (end quote)



This is a book that has been on my reading list forever (with most all C.S. Lewis books) and I take one off here and there. Finally one day I got it from the library to listen to on CD and have to say I really learned a lot and gained a broader perspective on Christianity and am even more thankful that I believe. This book is filled with so many bits of wisdom and wonderful quotes that I can't wait to get my hard copy and a good highlighter.


BUT I have a confession. I didn't want to pick this book for book club. I loved it but knew at times it can be difficult to keep moving forward and just didn't know if you would enjoy it. I told God over the past couple of weeks with time ticking by towards July, that we needed to come up with something different and He kept bringing me back to this one. But I came around to see things his way (which is often how it happens isn't it?) and finally decided yesterday that this is the pick for July. (I even had the e-mail ready to go on a totally different book) I told God that I was going to do what he was telling me and that some in the club may not like the book but that it was OK and that I knew He had someone in mind that needed to read it. So here it is, a bit heavy at times and a push to get thru at points but I think you will be happy that you did read this classic. And I also understand if you skip this month too. :)



Kathy will let you know about a book order if needed for anyone. The library also has copies and there are several different covers available because of the age of this book so don't be surprised if it doesn't look like the one I attached to the e-mail. Our July meeting will be Saturday July 30 at 8:30am-10:00am in Swift's new building. Thanks so much for your participation!!!


Remember I LOVE book suggestions and am here if you have any questions or need some other book ideas to read when you finish the monthly book. You can also check out the blog and see what other books I read and review as I try to find books for the club and for my own enjoyment. Happy Reading!

No comments: