Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mere Christianity

July has passed and we did not have a meeting with everyone having such a busy summer schedule. I haven't heard much feedback on who did or didn't read the book. I know of a couple who couldn't get into it but then others who remarked that they had read the book previously and it has always been a favorite. I wish that when I had first read the book, I wasn't listening to a library copy and could have gone through and marked it up with a highlighter or pencil. There were so many interesting things that Lewis said and the manor of the way he explained things are so simple and real. From an intellectual standpoint, he really opens the door for those who have problems wrapping their minds around Christianity and makes it easier to grasp and understand.



I did have one favorite quote that I remember that I would like to share with you here:



God made us; invented us as a man invents an engine. A car is made to run on gasoline, and it would not run properly on anything else. Now God Designed the Human Machine to run on himself. He himself is the fuel our spirits were designed to burn or the food our spirits were designed to feed on. There is no other. That is why it is just no good asking God to make us happy in our own way without bothering about religion. God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from himself because it is not there. There is no such thing. (end quote)



I love this statement and I love the truth of it and the way that Lewis makes it so simple when others try to sometimes make it more complicated. My reading time is becoming increasingly "booked" as I attend classes through Troy University but I do hope to one day go back and read this again now that I have my own copy. I still urge you to read it sometime if you haven't. I also would pray you check out some of Lewis's other writings. Happy Reading!!

No comments: