Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Inside my Heart by Robin McGraw

I just finished up reading, Inside My Heart: Choosing to live with Passion and Purpose by Robin McGraw. My office manager had read it and recommended I read it. She graciously brought me her copy to borrow a few weeks ago. This book is an inspirational non-fiction that tells you stories about the McGraw family, the lessons she has learned and things that you can put into place in your life with confidence. This book is 221 pages and here is what the back cover says:


You've seen her on television with her husband, Dr. Phil. But now it's time for a heart-to-heart conversation with Robin McGraw. In Inside My Heart, Robin speaks woman to woman, inspiring you to embrace and celebrate the many roles you play and encouraging you to make deliberate choices that lead to a richer, happier, and more meaningful life. She shares with you the life-changing moments of her childhood years, dating and marrying Dr. Phil McGraw, raising two sons, and asserting herself as a woman in a man's world to show you that you have the power to make choices in your life. In fact, she's convinced that you must choose to go after the life you want. With a deep and abiding faith in God, Robin McGraw shares her story so you, too, can make choices that reflect your own heart's truest priorities and highest goals. (end quote)



To be perfectly honest, I really was not that interested or ready to read this book. But if someone takes the time to recommend something and bring me the book to borrow I am going to read it. Thankfully I was pleasantly surprised. I have enjoyed the book even if the chapters were a little toooo long. (Editor should have done something about that.) But it was good, real good. She is a good storyteller and paints a great picture of the ups and downs that their marriage has had like everyone else. Even being married to Dr. Phil, their life isn't perfect. I also feel like the stories she tells she brings up great points with lessons to be learned. Robins says in the book flap,



"My Wish is for you to perceive as I do, the presence of God within us and around us and feel the love He feels for us all. I want to get you excited about being a woman in this day and time, excited about being the woman that God created you to be. And it's all there for the choosing, because I believe in the core of my soul that how you live, how I live, how we all live as women is largely a matter of choice."



I really enjoyed the stories she tells us about bringing up her children. She brings alot of good points out about the differences between men and women and what different things children will or need to learn from each. She tells us quite a few little stories of things that have happened between her and Phil and her reactions and good ways to handle situations. I like that she reminds women that we have the choice to be in the situation we are in, we have a choice to get where we want to be or sit by letting things move along for us with no input. I am undecided as to if this will be a book club selection for 2010 but I do recommend it! Let me know if you have read it or any thoughts. As always Happy Reading!

No comments: