Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day after Night By Anita Diamant

Recently I finished up reading Day after Night by Anita Diamant. This is a fiction based on Fact book. It is 292 pages long and a fairly easy read. Here is what Barnes and Noble tells you about the book:


This striking novel by the author of The Red Tent is based on a dramatic true story: In October 1945, more than 200 "illegal immigrant" prisoners at the Atlit internment camp in Palestine were freed. The story of this rescue, the friendships it forged, and its aftermath is told through the words of four young women who at first seem to share little except their incarceration. Zorah is a concentration camp survivor; Leonie, a Parisian beauty; Shayndel, an ideological Polish Zionist; and Tedi, a formerly hidden Dutch Jew. As always, Anita Diamant constructs her plot with the dignity and moral force of a biblical story. Fiction that makes history real. (end quote)


We previously read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant in the book club back in 2009. I have to say out of the two I enjoyed The Red Tent more. Day after night was interesting and educating but I felt it was missing a wow factor. It had no problem keeping my attention right up to the end, but I felt like it just kinda fizzled out and had a bittersweet conclusion. Thankfully the author does include an epilogue but I have to say I just wasn't as excited about it as I was with her previous work. She has a couple other novel's out there I will one day probably pick up and try out but for now I need to whittle away at the current stack on my table at home. This will not be a book club selection for us. I did want to warn you that it does use cuss words and can be graphic at times (similar to how The Red Tent was) but it's up for you to decide what this book would mean to you. Happy reading!

No comments: