Friday, February 19, 2010

He Chose the Nails by Max Lucado

Recently I finished up reading the book, He Chose the Nails by Max Lucado. This is a non-fiction book all about what Jesus dying on the cross means to each of us. I am looking for a book for our group to read during Easter time and so far no luck. I enjoy Lucado's writing and his style but while I enjoyed the book at times it wasn't quite what I was looking for right now. Here is the Amazon review:



Reading a Max Lucado book is as comfortable as having coffee and conversation with a close friend. He Chose the Nails: What God Did to Win Your Heart is signature Lucado: warm, conversational storytelling blended with scripture, humor, and vulnerability. Lucado invites us to understand the symbols surrounding Christ's crucifixion and celebrate the significance of the promises they offer. From the sign in different languages tacked to the cross ("I will speak to you in your language") to the burial clothing ("I can turn your tragedy into triumph"), he speaks of each symbol as a "gift of grace" that reveals God's love for mankind. Lucado takes us to Calvary and shows us our sins nailed between the hand of Jesus and the cross. "You've made some bad choices in life, haven't you," writes Lucado. "You've chosen the wrong friends, maybe the wrong career, even the wrong spouse. You look back over your life and say, 'If only I could make up for those bad choices.' You can. One good choice for eternity offsets a thousand bad ones on earth. The choice is yours." Whether he's bantering around phrases like "the hall monitors of holiness" or crafting a deeper expository on the crown of thorns, Lucado neatly balances the task of making his words accessible to a broad audience while delivering a meaty message on God's greatest sacrifice. Pick up this insightful read, and you'll be glad you made the choice. --Cindy Crosby (end quote)



This book is about 157 page with a study/discussion guide in the back of the book. Lucado has other books centered around Easter that if I have time I may look into for April since I couldn't get one picked for March. I also picked up another book by him called The Great House of God which breaks down The Lord's Prayer but couldn't really get into it. I know that we will do another one of his books for the group at some point but need the time and nudging to come for the right one. He is such a talented author I hope you will consider to read some of his work. He does such a great job of connecting with his reader. Happy Reading!

No comments: