Thursday, March 11, 2010

Guernsey Sweet Cake



Recently we finished reading, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer. And we had our meeting at the end of February where I wanted to make a traditional Guernsey dish for that morning. I chose to make a Guernsey Sweet Cake out of some recipes a friend had given me. Her family is originally from Guernsey and she still goes back to visit with those still living there so she had some good ones in her arsenal but me not being as skilled as her, just took the easy way out. And of course I had to share with you.

Ingredients:


6 oz butter (not margarine)
6 oz caster sugar aka superfine sugar (I just used regular sugar)
3 eggs
5 oz self rising four
3 oz plain flour
1 to 2 tblsps milk (I used 2)



Cream together butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time and beat well. Add milk and finally fold in mixed flour. Bake in a 2 Ib. loaf tin or equivalent size for approximately 1 and 1/2 hours at 325. I baked mine in a 8 inch cake pan because I didn't have a loaf tin for 1 hr and 15 min.

I was kinda freaked out making it since I had no clue what it was supposed to turn out like. And after it was done... my thoughts were.. is it like a cornbread? a pound cake?.... hmmm I would have to say it's like a cross between the two. Slightly grainy like cornbread but not really possibly because of me using regular sugar than using superfine... ?? Although a pound cake would be the best comparison because it would probably be real good with some fruit and cool whip. But we just had it plain with coffee and that was good too. So there you have it folks, An easy from scratch traditional Guernsey Dish that you can make on your own if you missed our meeting.

No comments: