Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Mystery, Wonder and Awe

Disclaimer: Please have mercy and forgive me if I make an error on something for I have neither educational background nor the knowledge to enlighten you about some of the main themes of this book. I know there is much controversy surrounding this book. If I say something in error, remember that I am no expert and for this reason there are some parts in the book that are important that I will not touch on. Thank you.

I hope you have forgiven me for my extremely long post yesterday. It is hard when there is just so much to discuss. In chapters 7 & 8 we get to see Mack and our characters interact in the kitchen around the table. I think a part of the book that is kinda funny is when Mack doesn’t know what to do about saying grace when he is face to face with God. I imagine it would be different because you would be able to talk to Him face to face and actually see His face in response to your thankfulness.

When Jesus and Mack go down to the dock together and look at the stars and they have that peaceful time together, it reminds me that I need to make that time. I need to make the time more often to spend with just me alone with Jesus. Not only to have the quiet time but also to spend it just admiring His creation. When was the last time you laid out to marvel at the stars or just the clouds passing by? I know I haven’t done it in a long time. I used to love to lie in soft grass and just watch the sky and the clouds go by. It can be very relaxing. As they finish their time out on the dock Jesus reminds Mack that even though he feels lost sometimes it doesn’t mean he is. It is something that all of us need to remember when we are sad and feel lost inside that we are not lost because Jesus is not lost. When we allow Him to abide in us we are not lost no matter how much we feel like we might be.

In chapter 8 Mack questions Papa with something many people wonder, How can He say He is a loving God? Many people get hung up on the notion that God is an angry God waiting to punish us the minute we step out of line. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Papa says something to Mack concerning this question, “I’m not asking you to believe anything, but I will tell you that your going to find this day a lot easier if you simply accept what is, instead of trying to fit it into your preconceived notions.” Isn’t this something so many of us struggle with? We try to apply logic, science and rules to God so that we can understand Him. But really if we would just let it be instead of trying to make Him fit into our ideas, our lives would be a lot easier. I have had people ask me hard questions before about God and when I can’t answer them, because I don’t know the answer to something beyond our reasoning I’m okay. I’m okay with not knowing because I know I can always ask Him later. I am secure in knowing that I don’t have to have all the answers now, nor do I deserve them, nor would I be able to comprehend them. Some things are better left in mystery, wonder and awe. Papa says something else to Mack that I think many need to hear, “I am good, and I desire only what is best for you. You cannot find that through guilt or condemnation or coercion, only through a relationship of love. And I do love you.” God loves us and He wants a personal relationship with us. Not because we feel like we have to but because we want to. Our first healing steps toward God are forming our relationship with His son, Jesus.

To comment on this post click on "comments" Type in your comment then where it has the drop down box click on "Name/URL" Type in your name, you do not have to have a URL. Then you can preview and post your comment.

No comments: