Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright

I just recently finished up reading The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright. When I heard what the book was about, the idea of Wednesday letters intrigued me. Here is what the book flap states:



They died in each other’s arms. But their secret – the letters – did not die with them. True love keeps no secrets. Jack and Laurel have been married for 39 years. They’ve lived a good life and appear to have had the perfect marriage. With his wife cradled in his arms, and before Jack takes his final breath, he scribbles his last “Wednesday Letter.” When their adult children arrive to arrange the funeral, they discover boxes and boxes full of love letters that their father wrote to their mother each week on Wednesday. As they begin to open and read the letters, the children uncover the shocking truth about their past. In addition, each one must deal with present-day challenges. Matthew has a troubled marriage, Samantha is a single mother, and Malcolm is the black sheep of the family who has returned home after a mysterious two-year absence. The Wednesday Letters has a powerful message about forgiveness and quietly beckons for readers to start writing their own “Wednesday Letters.” (End quote)




The book is not particularly long (library sent me large print and it was about 342 pgs so smaller print would be shorter) and is fairly an easy read if you can keep up with it all. I felt like it was a little all over the place and that it jumped around between characters far to fast. It does all come together at the end but I wouldn’t say it was an effortless read trying to keep straight who’s who and what’s what. The main theme of forgiveness, renewal and the whole idea of the Wednesday letters are inspiring. I think it can inspire others to write their own letters to each other and renew a tradition that has long since been left in the dust. Or if letters aren’t your thing then maybe even an e-mail. I can imagine how much that could probably strengthen the bond between two people. The setting in the book is in parts of Virginia that I grew up near and still have family living there today. So this made it kinda cool to sit and read about all these towns and know what they were talking about. At this time I don’t feel that this will be a book club selection but to grasp the idea of the letters I would definitely recommend it. I have read so many rave reviews on it that I hope that I don’t detract you from reading it. I think it gives inspiration to people that you can make it through anything together with Christ as your Savior. I have heard rave reviews about this authors other book, The Christmas Jars, and do plan to read it sometime in the future. When I do I will of course let you know how it turns out. Happy Reading!






To comment on this post click on "comments" Type in your comment then where it has the drop down box click on "Name/URL" Type in your name, you do not have to have a URL. Then you can preview and post your comment.

No comments: