Friday, July 31, 2009

The Noticer by Andy Andrews

I have finished up reading yet another book this week. I just finished up the 156 page Fiction/Non fictional Novel, The Noticer by Andy Andrews. You may be wondering why the confusion.. I guess because some stuff in the book is true. But then again I have heard it called fiction by the author himself. So I guess it would be safe to say it is fiction based on a true story maybe? Anyways here is what the back of the book cover has:


Poverty. A failing marriage. Old Age. Lost dreams. A failing business. An unsure future. To the residents of Orange Beach, Alabama, these desperations are dead ends. Hopeless, barren places with no chance of change. But to an old drifter names Jones with a gift for seeing what others miss, there is no such thing as a dead end. It only takes a little "perspective," he says, to recognize the miracles in our moments, the seeds of greatness tucked into our struggles. As Jones mysteriously makes his way through this coastal town and into the searching hearts of its residents, he offers simple wisdom and sound hope. "My contention is that you are right where you are supposed to be. This may look like barren sand to you, but nothing could be further from the truth. I say to you that as you lay your head down tonight, you are sleeping on fertile ground. Think, learn, pray, plan, dream. For soon... you will become." (End quote)



I read one of Andrews other books a few weeks ago and wrote about it here. This book was out just not available from the library at the time so I had decided to read the other first which I'm glad I did. You don't have to know about The Traveler's Gift to read this one but it does reference back to it in the very beginning so I thought it was nice already knowing what the other book was about. I read this book in just a few hours as it was a very easy read. The Jones character gives us lots of great advice through the characters he counsels in the book and perspectives that many need in their lives.



I had a few people who referred me to this book for my book club since it is by a local author and he sets the story locally too. I found myself recognizing lots of names and places throughout the book so that is always interesting. I think it will probably be a book club selection maybe in 2010 but I guess we will just see where God calls us. I think the fact that we all need a little different perspective at times is very true. I recommend reading it for all the nuggets of wisdom that are in the book. If you have or decide to read it, share your opinions with me. Happy Reading!



To comment on this post click on "comments" Type in your comment then where it has the drop down box click on "Name/URL" Type in your name, you do not have to have a URL. Then you can preview and post your comment.

No comments: