Friday, July 17, 2009

Pre-War Beje life chapter 3






In chapter 3 I enjoy reading about Karel and of Corrie's love for him. I don't like the way things work out with Karel and Corrie, but before I skip ahead lets look at Tante Jan wisdom from the middle of the chapter. We read the story of Tante Jan's illness and Corrie's duties with it. The time comes when the family knows that Tante Jan is dying and they gather together to speak to her about it. They all offer words of comfort but she still has some fight in her. I love what her response is to them at the idea of her hands being empty when she goes to see Christ,

"Empty! Empty! How can we bring anything to God? What does He care for our little tricks and trinkets?" And then her prayer, "Dear Jesus, I thank You that we must come with empty hands. I thank You that You have done all-all-on the cross, and that all we need in life or death is to be sure of this."

Doesn't it just amaze you and wish that you would be able to answer someone like that!!?? It does me anyway. And I love how she finishes it all up to end the uncomfortable conversation, "If I had a moment's privacy I might get some work accomplished." "Not that work matters Casper. Not that it matters at all. But, I'm not going to leave an untidy desk behind for someone else to clean up." I hope that I have that kind of wit and wisdom to carry on with age and to encourage my family who will be the ones trying to encourage me when I am older.


Back to the story with Karel. It saddens me that Corrie did not get to be with her true love because of circumstance and what was proper for the time. When Corrie meets Karel's fiance and her heart is crushed the conversation she has at the end of Chapter 3 with her father is so special. I'm not going to retype that whole part because you can just go back and read it at the end of Chapter 3 but I will quote what her father said to her. "God loves Karel (fill in your persons name here)-even more than you do- and if you ask him, He will give you His love for this man, a love nothing can prevent, nothing destroy. Whenever we cannot love in the old, human way, Corrie, God can give us the perfect way." Corrie says in the book that she didn't realize it at the time but this was the key to life later when she was in a dark place with nothing to love at all. Have you ever thought about asking God to help you have the kind of love He has for all people? Whether it be old lovers, friends, family members, enemies?




To comment on this post click on "comments" Type in your comment then where it has the drop down box click on "Name/URL" Type in your name, you do not have to have a URL. Then you can preview and post your comment.

No comments: