Wednesday, January 28, 2009

February Book Club Selection

The February Selection for our book club will be a fiction novel based on the book of Hosea in the Bible. The book we will be reading is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.

California's gold country, 1850. A time when men sold their souls for a bag of gold and women sold their bodies for a place to sleep. Angel expects nothing from men but betrayal. Sold into prostitution as a child, she survives by keeping her hatred alive. And what she hates most are the men who use her, leaving her empty and dead inside. Then she meets Michael Hosea. A man who seeks his Father's heart in everything, Michael Hosea obeys God's call to marry Angel and to love her unconditionally. Slowly, day by day, he defies Angel's every bitter expectation until, despite her resistance, her frozen heart begins to thaw. But with her unexpected softening come overwhelming feelings of unworthiness and fear. And so Angel runs. Back to the darkness, away from her husband's pursuing love, terrified of the truth she no longer can deny: Her final healing must come from the One who loves her even more than Michael Hosea does... the One who will never let her go. A powerful retelling of the book of Hosea, Redeeming Love is a life changing story of God's unconditional, redemptive, all-consuming love. (The above is from the back of the book cover.)

The publisher has a warning in the front of the book that the content of the book is PG-13 material. There are two book covers available that I have posted here.

The local libraries have copies of the book available. I will post more information if a group order is placed. We will be raffling off a copy of this book at our January Meeting. Entry to the raffle is $1.00.

This book has been at the top of my reading list for a LONG time. SO many people have recommended it and for some reason in December I just felt called to read it. I did and I could not put the book down. I had to stay up till 2:00 one night finishing it and crying through the ending. It truly is a powerful story of God's redeeming love he has for us and how we will only be fulfilled with his love. After reading it I just knew it had to be our February selection.

I enjoy getting feedback on the blog and hearing that people are reading it. Sometimes I wonder if I am just writing for myself! hahaha! Please comment on the book and post any questions you have, we may be able to use them during our meeting. Happy Reading!

-Amber

To comment on this post click on "comments" Type in your comment then where it has the drop down box click on "Name/URL" Type in your name, you do not have to have a URL. Then you can preview and post your comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am SO super excited about next months book club selection!! As I told you when we talked about this book, it is one of my most favorite books ever! I have been dying to read this book all over again and I'm so excited to have the chance now! I also wanted you to know how much I enjoy reading all that you have to say on this blog. I always look forward to gaining some new perspective on things that other people have gotten out of the book that I may have missed! Plus,I really love the recipe blog and keeping up with Christy and Gregory! Keep up the good work!!