Friday, January 16, 2009

Forgiveness

Reading through chapter 8 of Traveling Light for the second time, the word that keeps coming to mind is forgiveness. We all need it. We all want it. None of us deserve it. But still it is ours to take. It was paid for by Jesus on the cross because none of us are righteous. So many people in the world carry around guilt about past deeds and wrongdoings. They don’t feel they deserve forgiveness so they hang on to that bag of guilt. I know for me the first time I really understood what it meant about forgiveness was when I read one of my now favorite verses, “There is none righteous, no, not one” (Rom. 3:10 NKJV). I was under the illusion for SO many years that there are “good” people and “bad” people. God opened up my eyes to see that this perception is so wrong. NONE of us, not one deserves to be called a “good” person. We have all fallen short. We all need the forgiveness of our heavenly Father.

But as you have your forgiveness from your Savior you also need to forgive yourself and others. Don’t carry around guilt because of something you maybe never got a chance to apologize for and it’s too late. Forgive yourself. But if it’s not to late ask that person’s forgiveness and forgive yourself. If you can tell someone that you forgive them for something, do it. A huge burden can be lifted by a few words. Jesus will give you the strength, the Bible promises us that.

I love the way Max Lucado ends this chapter, “I told them I was present by virtue of someone else’s work. My only contribution was my own confession. We’ll be saying the same for eternity.” We will be in God’s righteous presence and all we have to contribute is our confession. Praise God.

To comment on this post click on "comments" Type in your comment then where it has the drop down box click on "Name/URL" Type in your name, you do not have to have a URL. Then you can preview and post your comment.

No comments: